Wednesday, May 30, 2012
6 Tips for Keeping Your Grand Rapids Lawn Healthy and Green This Summer
6 Tips for keeping your lawn nice and green this summer!
1. Be careful not to overwater. Overwatering produces shallow roots, making it more vulnerable to heat or pests.
2. The besttime to water is early morning, because less water is lost to evaporation.
3. The worst time to water is in the evening, when too little water is lost to evaporation. Diseases are more likely to develop in a wet lawn.
4. Raise that mower and let grass blades grow to 3" in height. Taller blades have deeper roots. Also, higher blades provide more shade for soil, and shade also has the benefit of stunting the growth of weeds.
5. Maintain the lawn, watching for weeds. Weed growth can increase thanks to the heat. Weeds tend to be more resilient.
6. Give the lawn 1 to 2" of water once a week. As a rule of thumb: Running sprinklers for one hour provides 1 inch of water to the area it covers, two inches in two hours, etc.
Rather have a pro take care of your lawn? Call 616-893-5765 for a free estimate!